Monday, July 7, 2008

Why So Serious? - "The Dark Knight"

For some reason, Heath's death or not, I'm drawn to "The Dark Knight". I think I would have been drawn to it even if he hadn't died just because it is a role that is totally out of the box for him.

I've went to youtube.com and watched all of the different previews I can. I have read articles, and I have even watched a few short interviews Heath gave before his death.

I think what really interests me is how an actor/person like Heath can pull off the Joker. I have been reading that critics think this portrayal of the Joker is even better than Jack Nicholson's. We have to remember, though, that Jack Nicholson was in the Tim Burton movies. Burton films are always a bit skewed and different.

This new version of the Joker is much closer to his original comic book character. Do a little research and you will find the evolution of the Joker through the years. He was a really bad guy and then a "funny" guy and then just a down-right psycho, not all in that order of course. I don't have great history in the comics, and I'm not going to pretend that I do. :)

I have also read, in my online research, that the production of many advertisements that portrayed the Joker are being pulled. I recall seeing several movie posters and advertisements that somehow showed the Joker and his tag line. I wonder why production has been doing this. I don't think it would just be a measure of respect. It most likely lies in a monetary reason like most everything else in life.

So, if you are like me, you'll be going to the movies to see the new Joker. "Why so serious?"

3 comments:

Nick (SBJ) said...

I have been obsessed with this for over a year now. Scrounging every little tidbit of info I could find. I am so excited to see this. I know it is going to be fantastic.

lloydduvalljr said...

Hey Lori,
Heath Ledger's Joker is THE JOKER...
I won't be going to the film to see that pompous putz: Batman, but to see the brillaintly maniacal JOKER... (And oh yeah, I LOVE the work of the director, Christopher Nolan!!!)
As I said on BLOGSTAIN, I'll be brushing up on my Joker stories between now and then and I can't wait...

jk said...

The special effects are wondeful. There were occasions when my fear of heights really kicked in, and Heath Ledger is amazing as Joker. As far as acting goes, this is Ledger at his best--he went out with a bang. This would be a fun movie to see on an IMax. And this is truly the most pompous-ass of a Bruce Wayne in the world, but except for the fake teeth and voice, Christian Bale didn't do a terrible job. But i would never go so far to call myself a critic... I love the entertainment of it all.

I'm thinking about HellBoy 2 tonight... and Mama Mia on cheap-date tuesday... I love singin' movies.